Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My turn! – The new camera

Sabrina and I have always liked our old camera (Canon A95) until we started seeing the type of quality our friend’s pictures were. He has a Canon D40 and all his photos were so good. Almost his entire collection of photos look like a professional took them. His camera is a previous version of ours and he has larger lenses (lens envy is not a good thing). I really like our new camera.


The new camera: Canon EOS Rebel XS









Note: I have to give a shout out to Pioneer Woman for her great picture taking too. Sabrina and I are very envious of her skills. She makes everything on her blog seems so nice and crisp. She also gives advice for the novice... yeay!


So we started shooting photos right after we got the camera. But to my dismay, it’s not the camera that takes good pictures but the person taking them. We have tried to take a couple of pictures on our own and figured out that within time, our pictures will get better. I have read about a ¼ of the manual so far and it does help (See, guys do read the manual!!). I just wanted to show you some of our work.


Here the kids ham it up before getting on the bus for Sabrina as she plays with the camera.

I think they look great.


Here I tried to capture color and texture. I am going to get this printed out and made into a poster for our office.



Here is a close up picture of a close up portrait.


Here is a close up with a dulled out back ground.

We have our own cherry blossoms in the front yard.



And of course the typical portrait

I tried some action shots with little success. It probably some crazy setting I need to do.
Back to the manual. (Yuck)



I know, I know. With some time our photos will get better. Hopefully you will see some improvement in later blogs. Maybe next year they will bring out one that does all to work for me. Ah the future…

The Man


4 comments:

Rindy R said...

Lucky US - I just got a new camera as well (early birthday gift Eddie?) I bought the Nikon D60 and I am loving it! My first shot was the Sweet potato salad on my blog. We are going to have so much fun with our new toys!!!!

Donna Boucher said...

Enjoy your new camera!!! You are off to a fine start!
You have a beautiful family!

Sabrina said...

What a surprise seeing my man on the blog. You told me you were writing one... Great job! You are good about reading the manual. I just want you to tell me what to do. I have no patience for manuals. Thanks for posting. Now I will be calling on you to do it more often!

Greg and Donna said...

The manual is nothing more than the manufacturer's opinion of how something should work.